Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Punish the deed... not the breed...

"Pit bulls are famous in circles of knowledgeable dog people; for the love and loyalty they bestow on anyone who shows them a smidgen of kindness." -- Linda Wilsn-Fuoco

As some of you know, and for those who don't, I adopted a Pitbull this past June, Bentley.When trying to decide what kind of dog I wanted, I knew I wanted to adopt from a rescue center and not go with a private breeder. I feel there are so many stray dogs that need homes, and wanted to be able to provide a good one. As I began searching, I kept seeing tons of Pitbulls who needed adopting... I sorta skipped over them a bit, due to the many rumors I had heard about their aggressive tendencies. Yet...the more and more I searched... the more and more I was drawn to this particular breed. Why were so many of these dogs homeless? I started talking to people who owned pit bulls to see if all that I had heard about them was true....

After talking to lots of different owners, of all ages, I heard a resounding, "It's all a joke." I came to find that Pitbull Terriers are actually some of THE most loving and timid dogs, despite the reputation that proceeds them.
   

The following images are hard to look at... but I feel it is necessary to bring awareness to the issue:

The truth of the matter is this: Pttbulls are innately 2 things: 1. Incredibly gentle dogs and 2. Incredibly strong dogs. These two elements in the wrong hands... could be disastrous...

This one is hard for me to look at. He looks just like Bentley.

Pitbull abusers often seek out this breed for "fighting purposes," because they are so easy to torture... It is not that they are aggressive towards humans...but when placed in a fight against another Pitbull who is just as strong as them, has been beaten, coerced, and essentially manipulated for aggression... the two dogs will fight the other til the death, as a means for survival... Which I suppose for some cruel and evil spirited individuals.. is... fun? Entertaining?...


What I find most interesting of it all, is that the actual correct name for the breed is "Bull Terrier." The word "Pit" was only added after they became renowned victims of treacherous fighting "Pits."


I recently took interest in a news report that here in Baltimore MD, 2 young men were charged with lighting a Pitbull on fire... She was so burned, that after many attempts to save her, had to be put to sleep. Not to mention many other infamous cases, and the most famous of all, the abuse by Michael Vick. Bottom line. Pitbulls are preyed on and abused DAILY right here in our own community. I have never seen more abuse targeted towards a particular breed. I think it's time for justice... I think it is time to shed light on the fact, that the true violence resides in the animal standing on two legs... holding the other end of the leash...

I have decided that I will be starting a fundraiser to help abused Pitbulls in the Baltimore, MD area. All donations and funds will be given to Pitbull Rescue and Adoption Centers in Baltimore, MD.

I have also decided that as a "Kick off" to this benefit, I am asking that any one who owns a Pitbull Terrier or Pitbull Terrier Mix, that I may please come and photograph you, your pit and document your pit story.

Hopefully, together, we can rectify the destruction that happens every day in the lives of these sweet, loving and very misunderstood breed of dogs.

"A righteous man regards the life of his animal."
 Proverbs 12:10

No comments:

Post a Comment