Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ayiti, m 'ale

Not too long ago, I stumbled across the opportunity to take part in a short term Mission's trip to Haiti through my church. I must say that when I had the first meeting a few months ago, I did not realize how rapidly this time would approach... I leave in 7 weeks...

Haiti is located in the between the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Coast, Just about 3.5 hours from our home in Maryland...
We live 3.5 hours away from the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. 80% of the population is below the poverty line. Just about half of the population is unemployed. There are over 9 million Haitian Citizens.
In January 2010, A massive magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti in with an epicenter about 15 km southwest of the capital, Port-au-Prince. An estimated 2 million people lived within the zone of heavy to moderate structural damage. More than 300,000 people died as a result of this.
The entire country is smaller than the state of MD

The country is also set at a high risk of major infections diseases, some of which include, hep A & E, typhoid fever, dengue fever, malaria, & most recently, they are experiencing a ravishing outbreak of the waterborne bacteria, cholera.
August 6th, I will be embarking on a journey to this nation. I, first hand will be meeting these people, serving in their community. Hearing their stories, learning their language. Seeing their faces, trying my best to demonstrate Christ's great love, for this struggling country.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me. Psalm 23:4
Am I afraid? Yes. Uncertain? Yes. Even Terrified? Yes. More than I can express to you. I have legitimate fears of being subject to illness & injury.
- But I can not deny this stirring feeling in my heart to go. & to see. & to tell these people, who are exactly like you and I, that their is a Savior who holds their hearts in His hands & will help them through this tough time. They are you & me. This is my moment to go out and to be the hands and feet of Jesus...
But I can not do this alone. I need YOUR help. I am currently in the process of raising money for my trip. I need to raise 1300$ by mid July. I ask and pray that if you feel so lead to aid me in order to go out and serve this community, that you would please get in contact with me. Donations do not have to be astronomical amounts. The smallest amount will add up. Please only give what you feel lead to. And in doing so, know that I will be a good steward of your money. & that every dollar collect is going directly to helping me get to this nation, to serve this community.... That means you will be there with me too... <3

We are called to be servants of Christ, in all nations. Sometimes, that means taking a road less traveled, or should I say, Wout la Mwens Vwayaje. 
The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for Me. Matthew 25:40

No comments:

Post a Comment