Thursday, July 28, 2011

Brooke Ashleigh, it's your Birthday! :)

to continue right along on the summer birthday train, today is yet another special birthday!

Today is my good friend Brooke's 19th Birthday. The last year of the "teens" is often times a strange one. You're now only a year away from the 2.0s... and things just tend to take a sharper turn for the serious after the teen years are behind you. - pretty soon she'll be on her way to the beach, relaxing and celebrating with her family. I'd say a perfect way to celebrate a special day!
The road to Brooke and my friendship, was definitely, well a much-less-traveled-one (witty am I). As most people know, Brooke actually was the-girlfriend-before-me, if you will. There was much curiosity, I believe, on both our accounts of the other, but naturally, distance and a potential lack in social involvement where expected, not only by peers, but I believe by a majority of people who I never suspected to even care.
I'll never forget the day I walked up to her and said hi. She was home for a thanksgiving vacation and was leading worship at our church. For those who don't know her, the girl can sing people... like belt it. She sang Hallelujah by Heather Williams. The song was filled with words of truth, in reminding us how far we fall, and even on the hardest days, He provides us with grace to stand upon. The song reflected my feelings toward Brooke, and I believe hers of me. Judgements were passed and thoughts assumed based on a circumstance without either of us taking one moment to know the other's heart. That song means so much to us both. I told her how great of a job she did & how it was nice to finally meet her.
The next day, I received a message from her telling me how much she appreciated me approaching her and that she had been wanting to reach out and say hi as well. From then on, God took us both on a crazy journey. While Brooke was far away at school, He taught us both things that I strongly feel could not have been otherwise learned, had we not been brought in each others lives. He taught us lessons to rise above circumstances and potentially awkward scenarios to seek out and learn the heart of the other. & eventually, allowed the calling of Christ to love the another as yourself, to be the center of our friendship. He also realized that I would need another Starbucks addict to walk through life with, so I didn't feel so alone in my obsession.
Yes there have been days of conflict. Things that were harder to work through or accept because of nature of the situation. However, I think its been harder to watch others be critical of our friendship, without taking the time to understand it. I'm pretty sure though we both really could care less at this point. We know that God had a plan for our lives to intersect... and a purpose for growth in more ways than I think either of us could have imagined.
Not only does this girl have a powerhouse voice that erupts leaving the listener often times speechless, but Brooke has an energy that when she is completely and totally herself, is beautiful. My life has been blessed by getting to know her.
Brooklyn, Today's your special day, a day truly worth celebrating. God had a purpose laid out long before you were even a conceptual thought. A purpose and plan that you, and only you, can fulfill. Since first coming to know you, I have seen soo much growth in your spirit and heart. God clearly has placed you where He wants you. This year, I hope that you ask God why. God brought you back here not just for comfort, but to continue to shape, mold and stretch you. Run after His plan, try your best, and don't be afraid to fail. The only way we will ever grow is through trial & error & grace to begin again. 
You are loved. Rejoice in this day knowing You, have captured the heart of the King & that He will love you like nothing else could ever. You are His greatest gift<3

No comments:

Post a Comment