Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Friend

A single soul dwelling in two bodies? Perhaps... I remember when I was a senior in high school, someone told me if you could count true friends on one hand you were lucky. I also thought to myself that I was REAL lucky, cause I had more true friends that I could count on two hands. Once again, lol, wrong. Yes, I had a large social circle and a good amount of friends. Yet, it wasn't until more recently, that I learned what it meant to have true friendships.

Like all things this year, big changes occurred in friendships I had. I feel as though God called me to sorta pull away from those friends of mine who weren't really walking with Him. It wasn't so much that those people didn't care about me, or I them. It was that I was SO weak from how far I had fallen, that I needed strength. I needed substance. I needed encouragement, guidance, truth. I had to cling to those who could offer me that, so there was no possibility of turning back, especially at first.

One day when I was skimming through the New Testament, I came across the book of Philemon. Being only about 6 paragraphs long, I thought to myself... hmmm I wonder what ol' Philemon has to say in such a brief passage. Much to my dismay, I found the very passage that I had been looking for;

Philemon verse 4 says:
"I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints.I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ. Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because of you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints."

Through out this time, I have found that 4 of my friends, fit this statement, through and through. And so I will mention each :
 Abby
 Abby and I have been friends for a few years now, we used to work together at the Pour House Cafe when it still was in existence. Unfortunately, due to my own misfortune, I sorta walked out on our friendship for a few years. Luckily, or rather, thankfully, when I finally wised up, she was still there waiting to hug me with open arms. To make me laugh out loud, to be a shoulder to cry on, and to let her GIGANTO dog, who is ironically named Bentley as well, have sleep overs with us. Abby meets me just where I am. She lives it. She walks the walk. Abby has one of the most endearing hearts. She is resilient, she is faithful in times when most of us could never be. She loves God fully....and her huge heart is nothing less than infectious, her spirit is contagious... and people notice her wherever she goes....
Bekah

Bex is a fairly new friend of mine. However, in our short time together, we have shared our love for coffee, our quest for seeking God, and braved many a road trip up rt. 95. Although I am still getting to know her, from what I have gathered is that this gal is always always seeking. Whether its wisdom, or patience, silence or joyfulness, Bekah displays persistence and discipline in her faith, which are sometimes the hardest aspects to put in motion, especially during the hectic seasons of life. She always sends me that song lyric, or quote, or funny saying, just when I need it most. Her beautiful heart has impacted me and I look forward to growing with her in both faithfulness and high blood pressure from all the coffee we consume....
Allie
Oh Allison. Where to even start. Allison has been quite dear to my heart for sometime now. Allison is the friend who sings the song of my heart back to me when I forget. Alls is the one who never. ever. fails me. Come hell, or high water... Allie is always steadfast. This girl is unshakable. She is truly THE most beautiful girl I have ever known. From the inside out, she radiates with an unconditional love for Christ, and those she holds dear to heart. We share big dreams, big smiles & most of all big hearts for direction. Our weekly gatherings at panera are my saving grace. I believe everyone should have an Allie in their life. If there were more people like Allison George, the world would seriously be far brighter....
Cristina

Proverbs 18:24 says, "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." - If there were ever to be a friend that would stick closer to me than anyone else, it is Cristina.Tina and I have an interesting story to tell... we've been best friends now since we were seniors in high school, but  I think if you were to ask either of us if we believed our friendship would be subjected to what we have both experienced over the past 4 years, I think we would both answer that we had no idea back when we walked across the stage together at graduation.... I can honestly say that I'm not sure if I could have made it through some of my darker days with out this girl. Days where my heart was completely empty. When I couldn't talk to my mom, or my dad, or to God, I could talk to her. She prayed for me when I told her I didn't want it anymore. She led me by her example when I didn't want one. She said words of truth that I needed to hear when no one else would tell me. She stood by me and loved me when others didn't get me. And through the years we have shared more laughs than I think most people share in a life time. She is the one who DAILY lifts me up. Who DAILY I want to lift up. She has one of the most beautiful hearts, and a deep deep love for God that pushes her to lead by example. She is stronger now than she has ever been. And even if you may not understand half of the made up words we say, we know what the other is saying...Cristina will be the one friend I will have for my entire life. She is the sister I never had. She is one of Gods biggest blessings to my life. And I think she knows it...

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. Knowing the other's heart. Loving the other unconditionally. Having the other's best interest in mind. & taking a hold of the other's hand, tightly, and walking together, side by side, on the road less traveled.

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend...."

1 comment:

  1. This was cute :)
    Just as a side note, the book of Philemon was written by Paul to Philemon, not by Philemon, in case you weren't aware :)

    ReplyDelete