Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What you see is not what you get.

"People with integrity have nothing to hide & nothing to fear.
Their lives are open books."
-Warren W. Wiersbe

I stumbled upon that quote in reading my devotional, Wisdom Walks, co-written by a good friend, and fellow Haiti team member, Jimmy Page. The devo for that day went into detail about Christian's trying to keep up appearances, for whoever, or whatever's sake. That often times, more than not, what is displayed on the outside is not lining up with what's going on in the inside.

I know in my own life, there have been so many times where someone has asked me how I was doing, and for the simple sake of time and consideration, I softly smile and say, "I'm fine." When in all reality it's the furthest thing from?
Why are we being fake?

"The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity."
Proverbs 11:3 duplicity is defined as: deceitfulness in speech or conduct, as by speaking or acting in two different ways

I am certain that in this passage, the Lord is referring to unfaithfulness to ourselves. To who we really are. & therefore commit to the bondage of a double life. to a half life.
Why are we pretending or wanting to be something we are not?

"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Galatians 1:10
As someone who has & still continues to struggle with an eating disorder,  I have for too long seen beautiful women, ladies, even young girls fight the demon in the mirror. And men are not immune to comparison. It is a festering polyp that only brings forth growth to deadly sins such as jealousy, envy, contrite, selfish hearts.. and ultimately, to hatred. 
We are seeking after the approval of those who hold a place in a time that is passing before our eyes, instead of the approval of a timeless God, who is the only one with any right or reason to pass judgement. Lift your eyes higher than what you can see before you. Lift your eyes higher than the person looking back at you in the mirror.
There is something to be said for honesty. I love how Jimmy & his co author, Dan Britton put this:

"When who you are on the outside, matches who you are on the inside, you have wholeness, completeness, soundness. When you're authentic- not perfect, but real- your life will change. Other's lives will change. families, schools, communities, even nations, will change."

I wrote this today mostly for myself. I came to the realization that there are some things I am battling with currently that have sadly resurfaced from the past. Because my number one goal in my pursuit in my faith is to be a transparent vessel, I needed to be honest with myself, mostly, to try to understand what integrity really means & how to obtain such through the Grace of God. I feel I have only begun to scratch the surface, but at least today will begin with transparency, & truth.

I urge you to ask me questions, if it so helps you in your own life. But more so, I ask you to ask yourself questions to further honesty and growth in your journey. Where do you see duplicity in your life? What areas are keeping you from experiencing the full freedom that Jesus can bring you?

"For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 
1st Corinthians 13:12


He has already set you free.
Now the task remains to set free ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment