Monday, January 17, 2011

The Purpose Driven Life; lets do this together.

Recently, I've been feeling very called to begin a devotional or something to sorta kick start my day. Allie lent me The Purpose Driven Life, by Rick Warren. The book is a guide to a 40 day spiritual journey that ultimately strives to help you discover what you are meant for in this life. He shares a point to ponder, a verse to remember and a question to consider. I thought I should share this with you as I go through each day so that you can also react to it and grow from it in the ways I hope to.


He opens with stating the Bible is very clear that God considers 40 days to be a spiritually significant time:
-Noah's life was transformed by 40 days of rain
-Moses was transformed by 40 days in Mount Sinai
-David was transformed by Goliath's 40 day challenge
-Elijah was transformed when God gave him 40 days of strength from a single meal
-The disciples were transformed by 40 days with Jesus after his resurrection

What stands out to me most here, is the idea of transformation. Just yesterday, our sermon discussed transformational growth. I find myself just at the tipping point of that journey. The one that stands out to me most is this:
-Jesus was empowered after 40 days in the wilderness

Empowerment. Boy, I could use some of that.

Day 1 Is titled, "It All Starts with God." - seems like a pretty legit place of origin... I love the first sentence: "It's not about you." Pretty sure this is going to be just what I needed. Once again, I find myself longing to disregard my own wants and desires in hopes of finding His for me.

Day One:

Point to Ponder: It's not about You.


Verse to Remember: For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and
invisible..everything got started in Him and finds its purpose in Him. Colossians 1: 16.

Question to Consider: In spite of all the advertising around you, how can you remind yourself that life is really about living for God?

No one said this would be easy. No one said I'll find all the answers. But I am simply asking for transformational growth over the next 40 days. Whatever that looks like. I pray to be molded, shaped & used... for something far beyond myself...
I am ready for a purpose driven life. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment