Thursday, April 7, 2011

Re-Inspiration. ah :)

absolute awesomesauce.

The past couple weeks, I've been faced with a lot of criticism... more than anyone's fair share I feel. To be honest, It's worn me down and kinda left me unsure as to how to carry on....

UNTIL TODAY.

I swung down to the Baltimore Museum of Art where they are currently hosting an exhibit called, "Seeing Now," a show that is featuring some outstanding photography from the 1960's until modern day. And from well known photographers too; Cindy Sherman, Andy Warhol, etc.

The thing I found most exciting about this exhibition was the large amount of photo's that incorporated text in their photographs... essentially what I have been doing this entire semester...

This work by Vernon Fisher is titled, "Lecture on Photography." The first line of the text reads: "“of all the arts, photography seems to be the best suited for penetrating the nature of reality and existence.” I couldn't agree more Mr. Fisher...
 

I had to include this. Everything Duchamp says is some how applicable to my life right now....


This piece was incredibly moving. It was photographed by Carrie Mae Weems about the hardships black women faced during this time in history... essentially this woman is looking out onto the struggles of her people... and at the end, crying.



Ah yes... The works below belong to Jim Goldberg. Essentially Jim's work is what pushed me to include  the written text of the subjects in my pieces. Below are photographs of the subjects and their handwriting on the image itself. It was so cool to see these and the others in this series in person today...



I must say, this gallery visit definitely breathed some life back into my creative slump. Seeing the work of visionaries that I admire so greatly firsthand all the more motivated me to continue building upon what I have already started... And how could you not be inspired by standing next to the lovely lady in the photograph below??

Ms. Allison Beth

I spent the afternoon being photographed by one of the best photographer's I know, Ms. Kimberly Brooke Green. I knew I wanted to have some nice photographs taken of me prior to graduation, and she is the only one I trusted enough to take them. Kim has an outstanding eye and an ability to connect to the person she is photographing, allowing them to feel completely comfortable and willing to open up to the lens. I admire her work and her charisma and grace demonstrate, an example for me to follow in my journey as a rising photographer. I'm super stoked for these pics!!

Yesterday I had a discussion with Sue Bloom, the Art Department Chair and a highly respected and successful Fine Art Photographer in the industry. After showing her my messages series, and asking for an honest critique, she simply left me with this: 

"Lindsey, I have told you from day one, you have an eye. That's something that can't be taught. I feel that "Messages" is a strong body of work. I see such potential for this project. This must be continued past graduation. I believe, that it is indeed, bigger than you yourself."

After being defeated, for weeks now, I finally feel I have been given the wind for my sails to press onward until the close of this semester. This verse is all to familiar to me, but I can not think of a more appropriate time to use it, once more:

"God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day." Psalm 46:5


thank you to everyone who has believed in me.... but most of all.. thank you to everyone, to those who I know dearly & those who I will never meet, that have inspired me.



James 1:2-4
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.


This isn't the last of me. In fact... I believe I'm just getting started .... <3

3 comments:

  1. <3 You rock. Seriously. I wish I was as motivated as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, glad you are re-inspired. Don't ever let any criticism/harsh words (or non-existent words) bring you down. It will only make your art stronger. Guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete