Friday, April 8, 2011

Rebekah Kay: A Birthday Wish for You...

I've decided that I am going to just start blogging birthday messages to those who are close to me. An extension of a card if you will... :)

I first met Beks back this fall... our encounters were brief and simple. To be honest, I couldn't read this lady all too well... slight hesitation. It wasn't until our first (of many and more to come!) road trip to NYC that I really got to have some conversation with this girl. She seemed totally sweet and relished in my Starbucks obsession with me, as we ventured into, hmm idk, maybe 4 that day? Over the simple conversation and small talk.... I was totally unaware that I was talking to a person who would be in my life for years to come...


that night in NYC, a group of us had ventured up to visit Hillsong Church. During this time, I still was struggling finding my way re-establishing my faith. I can easily recall that night I was literally unable to connect with Jesus. In a room with hundreds of people worshiping with their whole hearts... there I was stone cold and straight faced. I was like, "Seriously?" I was the heart of Manhattan, the city of pulse and life and was in a place where God was totally present to the fullest... and there I was incapable of feeling Him. Thats when Bekah reached over and put her hand on my shoulder... praying over me... and thats when I felt the walls around my heart melt into a sea of tears... and had total peace. On the ride home, I processed life with this girl. I could talk to her. I could trust her. I also could fall asleep in her lap, for 3 hours straight...


Although far away in Bridgewater, (no mans land), I somehow felt that she was sort of walking with me, daily. Days when I just wanted to quit or felt completely broken.... I would receive that unexpected-yet-perfectly-timed text/message/call/care package from this lovely lady, encouraging me, building me, believing in me. I knew this girl was different. She had been a better friend to me in short months, than some friends had been to me for countless years...


I have come to know her well. And I must say, the most amazing part of getting to know Bekah, is feeling as though I've known her for years. I've often told her that I feel like our friendship is like picking up where you left off with an old best friend from childhood. And now we're playing catch up.


I have never met a more genuine person. A person who is beyond creative, motivated, inspired, hopeful and courageous. Despite a lot of adversary in her young life, she doesn't lose hope. She has helped me learn a lot about self growth and inner strength. She has also taught me about love, hard work in relationships and most importantly, forgiveness. I have never met a person who cares for such a large amount of people, more than herself. I am beyond blessed to know this amazing young lady. If you do not know her, I suggest you make an effort to do so. For you would be missing out on knowing a beautiful life.

I look so forward to sharing many nights together this summer. Thank you for being you. Your life is a gift. Celebrate you today my friend. You are beautiful. Happy Birthday <3
Rebekah Martindale

Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down,
his friend can help him up. 
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Eccl 4:9-12 

1 comment:

  1. tear in my eye<3 you are the darlingest. (word? don't care) love you, and inspired by YOU daily. thanks for all the life shared in such a short time, thought it feels like years. you are a beautiful person and i truly am lucky to know you. :)

    ReplyDelete